You've probably heard the saying, "Can't live with them, can't live without them." You may have used it once or twice when you've had enough of a family member's antics. These quotes can help lighten the burden of stressful situations and help you express the love you feel for your family, despite the rough patches that arise now and again.
Quotes About Family
No doubt any of us could come up with numerous sayings about the meaning and significance of family. The following quotes are original quotations by the author of this article.
- Once a mother, always a mother.
- A hug from family lasts a lifetime.
- Family knows your flaws but loves you, anyway.
- Family ties mean that no matter how much you might want to run from your family, you can't.
- The bigger your family, the bigger your problems.
- Whoever said, "Love 'em then leave 'em" wasn't talking about family.
- Family is like that annoying itch you can't scratch.
- Caller ID was invented for family screening.
- Life begins with family and ends with family.
- A mother's love never wanes.
- Love your family as you love yourself.
- Family makes you who you are and who you aren't.
- God wouldn't have given you a family if He didn't think you needed it.
- Family is a blessing. Just keep saying that when you are irritated by something a family member does or says.
- You can't control what your family says, but you can control how much you listen and how you react to it.
- Where there is family, there is love.
- Family is the heart of a home.
- Love starts with family.
- The love of family is like no other.
- A family who disagrees, cares.
- You inherited a piece of everyone in your family. If you insult them, you insult yourself.
- Family gives you the roots to stand tall and strong.
- A family takes care of their own.
- The strength of family isn't determined by the number of members, but rather by the amount of love given and received.
- Family is forever.
- Tears flow from the eyes of loved ones the day you're born, and the day you pass.
- In a family, the sadness of one is the sadness of all.
- Family love is never broken.
- It only takes two to make a family.
Famous People on Family
Over the years, well-known people have come up with humorous and often thought-provoking quotes about family. Whether the quotes are from writers, actors, or celebrities, they're likely to encourage you to view your family from new, amusing, or refreshing perspectives.
- Rodney Dangerfield
- "When your mother asks, 'Do you want a piece of advice?' it's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway." - Erma Bombeck
- "There's nothing that makes you more insane than family. Or more happy. Or more exasperated. Or more... secure." - Jim Butcher
- "Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum." - Rick Riordan
- "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." - George Burns
- "That's what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you're not so lovable." - Deb Caletti
- "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." - Mark Twain
- "I find the family the most mysterious and fascinating institution in the world." - Amos Oz
- "The greatest thing in family life is to take a hint when a hint is intended and not to take a hint when a hint isn't intended." - Robert Frost
- "Family: a social unit where the father is concerned with parking space, the children with outer space, and the mother with closet space." - Evan Esar
- "The informality of family life is a blessed condition that allows us all to become our best while looking our worst." - Marge Kennedy
- "One of the things that binds us as a family is a shared sense of humor." - Ralph Fiennes
Additional Sources for Quotes
You'll find a number of websites devoted to quotations. By browsing such sites, you can discover thousands of quotes that reflect countless shades of moods, feelings, and family situations.
- Military Family Quotes - Families in the military have unique challenges and triumphs other families don't experience. If you're looking for insight on what it means to be part of a military family or want to find a comforting saying that brings peace to your mind and heart, you'll want to check out quotes from LoveToKnow for military families.
- Quote Garden - Quote Garden has a large database of quotes on just about every topic. The family category has numerous quotes by famous people as well as common quotes that have been carried down over many generations.
- ThinkExist - You'll find a database of quotes by famous people on ThinkExist, but the website also includes proverbs, which can come in handy for religious greetings or for Christians who are looking for comfort and guidance when dealing with family crises.
- Brainy Quote - You'll find pages and pages of quotes about family on Brainy Quote. Again, many of the quotes were first said by famous people, but what makes this website different is it includes quotations from present-day celebrities such as Charlie Sheen and President Barack Obama.
- Wisdom Quotes - Wisdom Quotes has four pages of family-related quotes. You can also browse other categories related to the feelings you experience from being a part of a family such as Compassion, Courtesy, Compromise, Children, and more.
Appreciating Your Family
During trying times, tongue-in-cheek quotes can help you develop a more positive, resilient attitude. During good times and family milestones, a sentimental quote or a family motto can deepen your appreciation for your loved ones. However you use them, good quotes emphasize the quirks and blessings of being part of a family.