Celebrate mom's love and care with a beautiful and thoughtful Mother's Day gift. From DIY projects to personalized mementos, mom is sure to fall in love with any gift that comes from the heart.
DIY Gifts From the Kids
Moms love thoughtful gifts that take time and incorporate individual touches from each child. The sentimental value of handmade gifts far outweighs any monetary value of a store-bought gift.
This is an incredibly personal gift for the mom who loves coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. A usable mug featuring the handprints of her children is sure to be a favorite when sipping hot beverages. Some adult supervision and assistance will be necessary for this craft.
- Ceramic mug
- Paper towels
- Rubbing alcohol
- Ceramic paint
- Baking sheet
- Wash and dry the mug.
- Dampen a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe the area where you will make the handprint.
- Wash and dry your child's hand, then cover his hand with an even layer of paint from palm to fingertips.
- Firmly press your child's painted hand against the side of the mug.
- Gently pull your child's hand straight off the mug.
- Repeat steps three to five for each child. Use a different color for each child's hand and overlap handprints if necessary.
- Place the mug on a baking sheet and put it into the oven.
- Turn the oven on and heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to turn the oven on after the mug is inside so the mug will heat gradually. Doing this will prevent cracking.
- Heat for 30 minutes then remove the mug and allow it to cool completely.
Loving Words Picture Frame
Mom will love a memorable picture of her family, but she'll love it even more in this personalized frame. Not only will the frame hold a treasured memory, the words each child chooses to use in describing mom will be uplifting.
- Elmer's glue
- Small paint brushes
- Old magazines
- Cut out letters (or stickers)
- Help children cut letters or words out of magazines that express their feelings about mom. Use the letter cut outs to spell 'MOM' and words used to describe her.
- Prepare a wooden picture frame by removing the glass.
- Use the glue to stick words all over the frame.
- Once you have all the words in place, paint an entire thin layer of glue over the whole frame (on top of the words).
- Allow to dry completely.
- Put the glass back into the frame and add a favorite photo of mom and child or the whole family.
DIY Gifts From the Whole Family
Family is often the center of mom's universe. Working together to create lasting memories along with a keepsake for mom will mirror her love of family life.
Family Tree Canvas
Display your family pride with this artful wall hanging made by, and featuring, mom's favorite people.
- One plain canvas
- Sharpie markers
- Draw a tree trunk and branches onto the canvas. If you are uncomfortable with freehand drawing, use a stencil.
- Add leaves of any desired color to the tree by drawing or stenciling them on the ends of the branches.
- Using a color different from any used on the tree, draw small hearts hanging from the branches - one for each member of your family.
- Using a color that contrasts from the hearts, write each family member's name inside a heart. If you ever add new members to the family, they can easily be added to the canvas.
Photo Tile Magnets
If your mom is one who spends loads of time in the kitchen, these personal photo magnets will be a daily reminder of how much she is loved.
- Small stone tiles (from the hardware store)
- Strong magnets
- Super glue
- Personal photos (printed to the size of your tiles)
- Mod Podge
- Trim a photo to the exact same size as one of your tiles.
- Cover the back of the photo with Mod Podge.
- Turn the photo over and place on top of one tile.
- Use another tile to press down on the photo and gently scrape across it to remove any air bubbles.
- If you have any photo overlapping the sides of the tile, simply apply Mod Podge and smooth it down over the edge of the tile.
- Gently paint a thin layer of Mod Podge over the entire top and edges of the tile. The ink may start to run a bit at this point but the brush strokes can help give it the effect of a real painting.
- Allow the tiles to dry completely.
- Using super glue, attach magnets to the back of the tile. At least one on top and one on bottom should do, but it will depend on the type of magnets you use.
DIY Gifts From Her Spouse
Mom loves hearing how appreciative her kids are and might like to hear the same from her spouse. Show your partner how important her role as a mom is to your life with a special gift just from you.
Chore Coupon Book
Moms are busy multi-taskers. Any jobs you can take off her plate, even if only for one day, can give her more time to enjoy family life.
- Stapler and staples
- Pen/fine point markers
- Cut five to ten pieces of cardstock to the size of a coupon.
- Pile all the cut cardstock pieces together and staple along one edge.
- On each coupon, write a chore or household duty. For example, "Today's your lucky day, cash in this coupon and all the bills I will pay."
Mother's Day gifts are available in droves from retailers of all kinds. If crafting isn't your thing, or you have an eye for the finer things in life, there's no shame in shopping for the perfect gift to show mom how important she is.
From the Kids
Gifts from the kids hold more meaning when they have an element of personalization. These simple gifts double as keepsakes.
- The Fingerprint Necklace Charm is a unique piece of jewelry that will make mom feel like you are always with her. You can return the provided mold kit or send an ink print of your child's fingerprint. That imprint will then be transferred to this fine silver charm. For additional personalization, you can add up to five letters or numbers on the front or back of the charm. Sold on Etsy for just under $60, this adorable charm can be added to any necklace chain.
- Mother's Day Photo Keychain from Memorablegifts.com makes it easy for mom to keep her family's faces and words with her when she's not at home. The metal keyring is attached to a small card with a pink flower design on one side where a message can be displayed and a photo uploaded by you displayed on the other side. You can upload a personal photo and enter up to two lines of text for free. For under $20 you can give mom a keepsake to last the whole year.
From the Whole Family
Rally together and show mom your family pride with these heartwarming gifts from everyone.
- To Mom With Love Canvas. This beautiful canvas features a single orchid along with a heartfelt poem dedicated to mom. The poem is already written for you, just personalize the canvas with one line of text. This 16 x 16 work of art can hang in plain view for mom to read daily. Sold by Personalcreations.com, this heart-warming piece is under $40.
- Keep mom warm inside and out with Her Special Touch Embroidered Tapestry Afghan, also from Personalcreations.com. The patchwork quilt-inspired blanket measures 46 x 60 inches and is framed with fringe. The outer side of the afghan reads "Mom, whenever you touch this heart you'll know that we love you." In the center of these loving words is a heart that can feature up to six children's names. This beautiful and functional keepsake sells for under $60.
From Her Spouse
Let the mother of your children know she is appreciated with a little something special she can wear every day.
- The Loving Message Engraved Link Bracelet from PersonalizationMall.com features six oval-shaped pewter discs, each of which can be engraved with a personal message. You can select any name, word, or date up to eight characters long to have engraved on each silver disc. Show your love for her by adding a short personal message or using words to describe her as a mom. For a more family-oriented look, engrave each disc with your children's names. The bracelet measures seven and three-quarters inches long and closes with a toggle closure. For less than $70, you can create a family heirloom for mom to enjoy now, and then pass on to future generations.
Show Mom Your Love
Mother's Day gifts offer an opportunity to express love for mom through tangible keepsakes she can cherish forever. Whether creating a gift by hand, or buying something memorable, mom is sure to appreciate any celebration of her efforts and your love.