The best places to live in Florida for families have low crime rates, good schools, lots of amenities, and offer outdoor recreation. Other factors considered include the cost of living, the housing market, and socioeconomics.
Finding Fun and Best Places to Live in Florida for Families
Families moving to Florida seek many of the perks they experienced when they visited as tourists. With all the other criteria being equal, families should consider the types of houses available in each area they are interested in.
Best Cities for Families in Florida
Some of the best cities for families in Florida have convenient suburbs that are ideal for family life. You can find master planned communities, suburbs, and gated communities with lots to offer families.
Nocatee is a master-planned community that is about 26 miles south of Jacksonville.
- The population is a little more than 14,700.
- The median home value is around $430,000.
- The Nocatee coastal community features 22 neighborhoods, schools, shopping, parks, restaurants, and recreational areas.
- It is convenient to beaches and golf courses.
2. Fish Hawk
Fish Hawk is 20 miles southeast of Tampa with a population of a little over 14,000. It is a popular suburb of Tampa. This master planned community offers several options of lifestyles with its many villages.
- The median home value is around $352,000.
- Your family will have lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- With a large community green area, other amenities include camping, sports, swimming, plenty of shopping destinations, and lots of restaurants.
- The picturesque community is nestled along the Alfia River and features walking/hiking trails through large wooded areas and wildlife habitats.
3. Palm Valley
About 27 miles southeast of Jacksonville, Palm Valley overlooks the Atlantic Ocean with ith a population of around 21,300.
- The median house value is about $245,000 with most residents owning their homes.
- Like many seaside communities in Florida, the residents are a diverse mix of age groups.
- This area has an urban feel and is a good escape from larger cities.
- The beach is a big magnet for the community with individuals often having bonfire beach fun and other beach-related activities.
4. Harbour Island
Harbour Island is 1.4 miles south of Tampa and is in the Tampa city limits. The population is around 14,400.
- The median home value is a little over $420,000 with most residents owning their homes.
- Families will find Harbour Island has an urban atmosphere.
- Families will enjoy the many restaurants, coffee shops and public parks.
- The area is a mix of families and young professionals.
Spanishtown is a Tampa suburb only 1.4 miles southwest of the city. The population is only around 1,400.
- If it's a small urban town atmosphere you want Spanishtown is it.
- The median house value is around $352,000 with most residents owning their homes.
- Families will enjoy the many coffee shops, restaurants, and parks.
- The town's vibrancy is appealing to young professionals and their families.
Best Gated Communities in Florida for Families
There are many gated communities in Florida for families. You can get an idea of what's available with a few examples of the best ones along the Gulf of Mexico, inland and along the East Coast.
Located about 12 miles north of West Palm Beach, Marisol is situated on a 2,300 acre natural preserve and Audubon certified sanctuary. Within this gated community are 1,165 homes spread out in 24 diverse neighborhoods. The median house value is around $830,000.
- This gated community has a lot to offer active families with two 18-hole championship golf courses, 7,000 sq ft sports and pool center, regulation basketball court, a playground, bicycle and walking paths, 15 clay tennis courts and 1 hard surface court.
- The 75,000 sq ft private clubhouse has several dining options, and the community boasts a 116,000 sq ft shopping center that's sure to satisfy the most avid shopper.
7. Windward at Lakewood Ranch
Located in Sarasota, Florida, Windward at Lakewood Ranch is an award-winning master-planned community that resembles a lush palm tree tropical paradise. he home values are from high 200,000s to high 500,000s along with Courtyard/patio villas that range mid- to high- $200,000.
- You can choose your resort style home in the British West Indies or Dutch Colonial architectural designs. T
- The community has a 10,000-square-foot clubhouse.
- There are also two outdoor swimming pools, several parks, tennis and pickleball courts, sports fields, a fitness center, various walking and biking trails, a playground, and more.
8. Boca Royale Golf & Country Club
Located 30 miles south of Sarasota in Englewood, Boca Royale Golf & Country Club overlooks the Gulf Coast. Home values range from $280,000 to $1 million.
- The club features an 18-hole semi-private golf course, tennis and pickleball courts, and clubhouse dining.
- The club features a swimming and fitness facilities.
- The community boasts year round social an community events.
- The shared open spaces include lakes and preserved wetland.
9. Miromar Lakes Beach & Golf Club
Miromar Lakes Beach & Golf Club is located 18 miles south of Fort Myers. This community has won several community awards including the National Association of Home Builders' Gold Award for #1 Community in the USA. Home values range from $1 million to $7 million.
- You can choose from three home styles of beach, estate, and villa designs that overlook a 700-acre freshwater lake.
- Your family can play on the three-mile long beach.
- When you decide you want to move off the beach, you can play golf on the private Arthur Hills Signature Championship golf course.
Other amenities include boating, waterskiing, paddleboards, fishing, and kayaking.
You can choose from the three onsite restaurants or take a spa day at the European style spa and fitness center.
If you like tennis, you'll enjoy playing 7 Har-Tru courts, and bocce courts.
10. Bella Collina
The Bella Collina is located in Orlando and spans 1,900 acres of hills and lakes. The landscaping is natural with luxury estates, homesites, and condos. The median home value is $654,000.
- Your family can enjoy a relaxing lifestyle, play a few rounds of golf on the 7,500-yard course designed by Sir Nick Faldo.
- Being close to Walt Disney World is a great perk for the entire family. You can spend every day as though you're on vacation in a posh luxury resort.
- You can take advantage of the private pool, luxurious spa, poolside service, fitness center, dining onsite, or go for an evening walk.
Best Places for Families in Florida
There is a wide variety of lifestyle options in Florida for families. It may help to make a list of the amenities you desire and then search the listings to see which one(s) meet your criteria.