Some last names are showstoppers. They're cooler than ice, and they give off a creative and powerful vibe in a matter of mere letters. If you are lucky enough to have a last name like one of these, stand taller, walk prouder, and wear your last name with honor.
Cool Last Names That Make You Feel Like a Character in a Film
These last names are so cool you might expect your favorite heroine or hero to sport them as they go off and save the universe. Their meanings are all different, but they all share that special coolness factor.
- Balboa - Galician origin. Means "pleasant valley." Name of a character in the film Rocky.
- Bond - English origin meaning "tied to the land." Famously worn by movie character James Bond.
- Bourne - English origin. Means "spring" or "stream." Name of main character in The Bourne Identity.
- Callahan - Gaelic origin. Means "lover of church."Name of main character in Dirty Harry.
- Corleone - Italian origin. Means "lion heart." Made famous by the character Don Vito Corleone in the movie The Godfather.
- Everdeen - Anglo-Saxton origin. Name of the heroine in Hunger Games.
- Montana - Spanish origin. Means "wooded upland." Name of character in Scarface.
- O'Hara - Irish origin. Name of character in Gone With the Wind.
- Stark - German or English origins. Avengers character Tony Stark wore this last name as did primary characters in the series Game of Thrones.
- Starling - English origin. Name of a bird. Last name of character in The Silence of the Lambs.
- Vader - Dutch origin meaning "father." Last name of the villain in Star Wars.
- Ventura - Italian origin. Means "fate." Last name of character in Ace Ventura.
Powerful Last Names That Mean No One Will Mess With You
There is simply something special about a last name that exudes power. These strong surnames won't make anyone feel like a wallflower, as they all have meanings based on strength and power.
- Allard - French origin. Means "noble friend."
- Almond - Middle Eastern origins. Means "noble protector."
- Bardin - German origin. Means "battle ax."
- Barrett - German origin. Means "mighty like a bear."
- Barron - Hebrew origin. Means "young warrior."
- Brando - German origin. Means "sword" or "fiery."
- Caddel - Welsh origin. Means " battle."
- Carnell - English origin. Means "castle defender."
- Chevalier - French origin. Means "knight."
- Curran - Irish origin. Means "hero."
- Ectorius - Latin origin. Means "defender."
- Finley - Scottish origin. Means "fair-haired hero."
- Guillaume - Norman origin. Means "protection" or "strength."
- Hassan - Arabic name. Means "strong."
- Heroux - French origin. Means "wolf army."
- Landry - German origin. Means "powerful ruler of the land."
- Merrick - Welsh origin. Means "a serving ruler."
- Nwadike - Nigerian origin. Means "son of the brave."
- Xander - Greek origin. Means "mankind's protector."
- Valor - Latin origin. Means "bravery."
- Varon - German origin. Means "protection."
Last Names Inspired by Creativity & Artistry
Channel your inner artist and creator with these creative last names. These special surnames will inspire anyone to go forth and create something amazing.
- Abara - West African origin. Means "spirit."
- Amaryllis - Greek origin. Means "new" and "fresh."
- Flammia - Latin origin. Means "little flame."
- Fulgencio - Latin origin. Means "brilliant" or "bright."
- Haku - Japanese origin. Means "poetic."
- Harper - English origin. Means "harp player."
- Hemingway - Inspired by one of the greatest writers of all time, Ernest Hemingway.
- Luna - Italian and Spanish origin. Means "light."
- Nisim - Hebrew origin. Means "miracles."
- Paisley - Scottish in origin, meaning "church official." The name of a popular textile design.
- Piper - English origin. Means "player of the pipe."
Funky Last Names That Feel Like a Fantasy
Futuristic, whimsical, and made for a fantasy film or novel, these last names are fresh, cool, and make you feel like you are living in a real-life fantasy.
- Alstone - English origin. Means "elfstone."
- Alvar - German origin. Means "army of elves."
- Alvin - English origins. Means "elf friend."
- Akashiro - Japanese origin. Means "red castle."
- Burkhardt - German origin. Means "castle" or "fortress."
- Castellanos - Greek origin. Means "castle."
- D'Angelo - Greek origin. Means "angel."
- Dōjima - Japanese origin. Means "temple" or "shrine."
- Dracos - Greek origin. Means "ogre" or "dragon."
- Galdur - Icelandic origin. Means "magic."
- McKenna - Gaelic origin. Means "born of fire."
- Nanos - Greek origin. Means "dwarf."
- Nxy - German origin. Means "sprite."
- Pari - Persian origin. Means "fairy."
Cool Last Names Inspired by Occupations
Most countries have people who proudly wear last names that describe the jobs and occupations of the past. These cool last names don't just sound interesting and unique, they also give a glimpse into what people related to you did long ago.
- Abarca - Spanish origin. Means "maker of leather shoes."
- Beck - Old Norse origin. Means "baker."
- Bieler - German origin. Maker of hatchets.
- Bichler - Ashkenazi origin. Means "seller of books."
- Bonetti - Italian origin. Means "hatmaker."
- Carbo - Roman origin. Means "someone who sells coal."
- Cooper - English origin. Means "a person who repairs wine barrels."
- Fletcher - Anglo-French origin. Means "a person who makes arrows."
- Hasapis - Greek origin. Means "butcher."
- Suarez - Spanish origin. Means "a person who herds swine."
Inspiring Last Names That Give a Nod to Nature
So many cultures from around the world use the natural world to inspire last name choices. These monikers have roots in nature, and they are all unique and fun.
- Adair - Scottish origin. Means "shallow place in a river near the oak trees."
- Adler - German and Yiddish in origin. Means "eagle."
- Arley - English origin. Means "hare meadow."
- Barlowe - English origin. Means "one who lives on a bare hill."
- Beckett - English origin. Means "one who lives near a beehive."
- Beckham - English origin. Means "location of the small stream."
- Beaumont - French origin. Means "beautiful hill."
- Brennan - Irish origin meaning "little raven."
- Channing- Asian origins meaning "young wolf."
- Cherith - Hebrew origin. Means "winter stream."
- Cox - Belgian, Dutch and English origin. Means "rooster."
- Dagon - Arabic origin. Means "rain cloud."
- Laurier - French origin. Means "bay tree."
- Marsden - English origin. Means "swampy valley."
- Nishikawa - Japanese origin. Means "western river."
- Radley - English origin. Means "meadow of reeds."
- Ripley - English origin. Means "shouting man's meadow."
- Stone - English origin. Name for someone who lived on stony ground.
- Ursus - Latin origin. Means "bear."
- Vandenberg - Dutch origin. Means "of the mountain."
Last Names So Cool They Only Need One Syllable
Sometimes a last name is so cool it only needs a single syllable to stand on its own. These special surnames are short but packed with awesomeness.
- Ash - Means "ash tree."
- Benz - German origin. Means "brave like a bear."
- Birk - Latin origin. Means "light."
- Duke - American origin. Means "leader."
- Fox - Denotes the intelligent, sly animal of the same name.
- Hardy - English origin. Means "bold."
- Hyde - English origin. Means "one living on a hyde of land."
- Kade - Scottish origin. Means "of the wetlands."
- Krul - Dutch origin. Means "curly hair."
- Moss - English origin. Means "savior."
- Pierce - Welsh, Irish or English in origin. Means "of the rock."
- Rush - English origin. Means "one who lives near the rushes."
- Sloan - Irish origin. Means "the raid."
- Zade - Persian origin. Means "the son of."
Last Names as Cool as the Stars Who Answer to Them
What could be cooler than a last name shared with one of the most famous people on the planet? These cool last names sound familiar because of the famous faces who answer to them.
- Cash- Inspired by the late Johnny Cash.
- Cruz - Spanish origin meaning "cross." Made famous by actress Penelope Cruz.
- Cyrus - Persian origin meaning "sun." Made notable by entertainers Billy Ray and Miley Cyrus.
- Dean - English origin meaning "church official." No one was cooler than iconic heartthrob James Dean.
- Dylan - Welsh origin meaning "son of the sea." Made famous by Welsh poet Dylan Thomas and American singer Bob Dylan.
- Franco - French origin meaning "Frenchman." Made notable by actor James Franco.
- Harlow - Inspired by actress Jean Harlow.
- Hendrix - Dutch/German origin meaning "estate keeper." Rocked by musical genius Jimi Hendrix.
- Jagger - Made famous by musical legend Mick Jagger.
- Jolie- French origin meaning "beauty." Made famous by actress Angelina Jolie.
- Lennon - Made famous by Beatles great, John Lennon.
- Lennox - Scottish origin meaning "elm grove." Made famous by boxing great Lennox Claudius Lewis and singer Annie Lennox.
- Monroe - Worn by the late and ever stunning actress Marilyn Monroe.
- Nash - Last name of basketball professional Steve Nash.
- Presley - Last name of entertainment legend Elvis Presley.
What Is in a Last Name?
Culturally speaking, surnames often connect people to their roots, their family heritage, and their past. Some last names tell a person where in the world their ancestors lived, what they did for a living, or what character traits were associated with them. Others provide a connection to nature or the land. They can be popular and very common to a specific region, or totally unique and practically unheard of. While last names have tons of differences between them, they have one thing in common: they all tell a story. What's the story behind your last name?