Planning a family night is a great way to spend time together and strengthen family bonds, but just figuring out what to do and gathering the materials for a family night can be a drain on busy family schedules. With an assembled family night gift basket, however, you can create a fun package with all the accessories for an enjoyable family night, whether it is for your own family's use or to give to another family.
Family Gift Basket Ideas
Game Night Gift Basket
A game night is an easy and popular idea for family night activities. For a game night gift basket, consider including:
- One or two inexpensive board games for multiple players
- Homemade scorecards personalized with family members' names
- Deck of cards or family card games
- Snack mix, candy, or cookies to share while playing
- Book of magic tricks
Choose games that can be played repeatedly or that have different sets of rules so they can be enjoyed again and again, giving a family many fun game nights to enjoy.
Baking Treats Gift Basket
Baking a dessert together is a sweet way to spend a night together as a family. Options for a family night baking gift basket include:
- Cake, cookie, or brownie mixes
- Collection of favorite dessert recipes or a dessert cookbook
- Baking tins or pans
- Colorful potholders or oven mitts
- Festive sprinkles and decorative icings
- Cookie cutters or cupcake liners
- Homemade jar mixes
If you are putting together a baking gift basket, be sure to consider any special dietary needs such as diabetes or nut allergies. Also be sure to include recipes that all family members can help with, such as simple recipes for children to bake.
Movie Night Gift Basket
Movie nights are popular with many families because they are easy to arrange and can be great for all ages. Try some of these items:
- A family-oriented DVD or gift card for a movie rental
- Packets of microwave popcorn
- Flavored popcorn toppings
- Novelty popcorn bowls or paper popcorn bags
- Boxes of movie candy
- Homemade, personalized movie "tickets" for each family member
Family movie gift baskets should include movies or cartoons suitable for every member of the family, and ideally the movie should be one the family has not yet seen to allow for prime enjoyment.
Outdoor Adventure Gift Basket
Spending time outdoors not only brings families closer together, but also builds healthy exercise habits and an appreciation for nature. Consider:
- Small pair(s) of binoculars
- Bird, tree, insect, or mammal field guide
- Butterfly net or insect jar
- Bottled water
- Trail mix
- Bug spray
- Map of local and regional trails
If your family or the family you are planning the gift basket for has specific outdoor interests such as hiking, biking, birding, skiing, kayaking, or stargazing, you can add specific gifts to the basket to coordinate with those interests.
Family Scrapbooking Gift Basket
Scrapbooking is a great way to preserve family memories, and it can be a fun family night project to create a themed scrapbook. Look for:
- Scrapbook album
Specialized scrapbooking papers
Scrapbooking is a fun family craft.
- Stickers, ribbons, and other accents
- Specialty shapes scissors
- Ruler or tape measure
- Photo corners for picture mounting
- Colored pencils or markers
- Scrapbooking how-to book
- Glue sticks
This is a great gift basket idea for a family that has recently done something unique, such as welcoming a new family member, taking a vacation, or celebrating a special event.
Spiritual Gift Basket
Many families use family night as an opportunity to strengthen their spirituality by sharing Bible study or other religious activities. Think about these items:
- Personalized family Bible, hymnal, or other religious book
- Religious candle holder and candles
- Children's religious games or DVDs
- Bible study journal
- Religious bookmarks
- CD of religious music
Always be respectful of another family's beliefs when creating a religious-themed gift basket; choose items that coordinate with their beliefs and are suitable for all ages.
Family Gardening Gift Basket
Gardening is a great family activity, especially on summer evenings after a hot day. A gardening-themed gift basket might include:
- Gardening hand tools
- Seed packets
- Watering can or small sprinkler
- Matching garden hats, gloves, or shoes for every family member
- Plant markers
- Fertilizer sticks
- Gardening how-to book
- Recipes for garden produce
A gardening gift basket will give back to a family for weeks, first as they enjoy time together to tend their garden, then later as they enjoy their harvest.
Pizza Party Gift Basket
Pizza is a popular meal for an entire family, and there are many ways to personalize pizza so every family member can have exactly what they enjoy. Consider including:
- Pizza stone or cooking pan
Create a pizza gift basket.
- Crust mix
- Jar of pizza sauce
- Dipping sauces for crust or bread sticks
- Gourmet pizza recipe book
- Red-checked tablecloth and napkins
- Two-liter of soda or individual soda bottles
- Assorted additional pizza toppings
Cooking homemade pizza can be fun for a family to create a meal together, and it can lead to a delicious family night they can enjoy week after week.
Tips for Family Night Gift Baskets
No matter what theme you plan for a family night gift basket…
- Choose gifts and items suitable for all ages
- Allow for some variety or choice in how the family uses the gift basket
- Decorate the basket with ribbon, tissue paper, miniature balloons, or other festive accents
A gift basket can be an ideal gift to welcome a new family into the neighborhood, help a family celebrate a special occasion, or to give holiday gifts that an entire family can enjoy. With many different family gift basket ideas to choose from, there is a theme perfect for any group.