Are you looking for ideas for outdoor games that your family can enjoy? There are many great outdoor activities that children and adults can participate in together. Whether you do some of these with your kids and spouse, or you get your extended family together for a reunion or special event, these activities can brighten up any day spent outside with family members.
Twenty Fun Family Outdoor Games
- Badminton: A backyard badminton set can provide your family with hours of enjoyment. Pair adults with children on either side of the net and have fun!
- Catch: Playing "catch" is a great outdoor family activity. Use a large rubber ball with small children. Advance to using a football or a baseball or softball (with an appropriate mitt) for older kids and adults.
- Croquet: Setting up a croquet set in your backyard is a great way to ensure that there's always something your family can enjoy doing outside when the weather is nice.
- Frisbee: Throwing a Frisbee is something that you and your family can enjoy anywhere. You can play Frisbee in your own backyard, at the beach, in the park and in any other location where there is an open field. There may even be a Frisbee golf course in your local community.
- Hacky Sack: Playing hacky sack is a fun outdoor activity that children, teens and grown-ups can enjoy together.
- Hide and Seek: Hide and seek is a classic activity. When playing this game outdoors, be sure that youngsters know the boundaries and establish a signal that means "game over, come out of hiding." If very young children are playing, pair them with adults to ensure their safety.
- Hopscotch: If you have a sidewalk or concrete patio, all you need to get a game of hopscotch started is some chalk.
- Horseshoes: It only takes a few minutes to set up a game of horseshoes in your backyard, yet you and your loved ones can enjoy playing the game for hours at a time.
- Jump Rope: Holding a jump rope competition is a great outdoor activity that children and adults can enjoy together.
- Marco Polo: Whether you have a swimming pool in your own backyard or if you visit a swim club or public pool to enjoy some time splashing around, playing Marco Polo is a great family water game.
- Miniature Golf: Visiting a local miniature golf course is a great way to enjoy an afternoon or evening out with your family.
- Red Rover: When holding a large family gathering with members from several generations, a game of red rover might be the perfect activity.
- Sack Race: Holding an old-fashioned sack race is a great way to have some outdoor fun with your loved ones.
- Tag: You can put together a friendly family game of tag in your own back yard, or in any other location where there's room to run.
- Tetherball: While some outdoor game equipment requires a large yard, it's possible to install a tetherball pole in even very small areas. You and your kids can have a great time playing this fun game.
- Tennis: Playing tennis is a great outdoor activity for families of all sizes, as it is possible to play with as few as two people.
- Tug of War: If you're looking for a fun outdoor game for large family gatherings, tug-of-war just might be the perfect choice.
- Volleyball: If you have room to install a net in your backyard, playing volleyball is a good outdoor activity for family gatherings.
Get Outside and Get Moving
These are only a few of the many fun games that families can enjoy in the great outdoors. With so many options for outdoor activities, there's no reason to stay inside when the weather is beautiful outside. Enjoy summer evenings too by bringing some family night activities outdoors. Get off the sofa and step away from the hand-held video games and cell phones to spend an afternoon engaged in a little friendly competition with the people you love the most!